Re: multiple instances of octave

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: multiple instances of octave
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:16:29 -0500

octave-forge has main/parallel which allows you to communicate amongst multiple octave processes running on a cluster.

However, in your case it sounds like you don't need to communicate between them, so a simple shell script which cycles through the ip addresses assigned to the various nodes and uses ssh to start a process on each one should be sufficient.

You may have problems doing this from a script because the script may not go on to the next process until the first one completes.

Google tells me that the program GNU screen allows you to run a process detached from a terminal and reattach it later. You may be able to automate the detachment from the command line. I see another program dtach which with the -n option starts the program detached.

There is a unix programming faq which describes how to detach a process from a terminal (Q 1.7):

        http://www.erlenstar.demon.co.uk/unix/faq_2.html

I do something similar in octave-forge/main/listen.cc.

Hope this helps,

        - Paul