Built-in Function arguments (step)

From: Larry Blodgett
Subject: Built-in Function arguments (step)
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 23:09:58 -0600

How do I handle arguments in octave?

For example:
m=20;

K=2;

D=4;

num=[1];

denum=[m,D,K];

mfdsys=tf2sys(num,denum)

step(mfdsys) automatically supplies the other arguments and plots the function

Here is the more general call with all the arguments
Function File: [y, t] = step (sys, inp, tstop, n)
Step response for a linear system. The system can be discrete or multivariable (or both). If no output arguments are specified, step produces a plot or the step response data for system sys.

Inputs

sys   System data structure.
inp   Index of input being excited
tstop The argument tstop (scalar value) denotes the time when the simulation should end.
n        the number of data values.

Here is the question.
What if I want to set ONLY tstop or n and use inp as internally generated?
Also, how would I specify inp, what does it actually mean?

Larry