Re: intralingua

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: intralingua
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:06:04 -0500

On Nov 8, 2005, at 7:45 AM, Andy Adler wrote:

On Mon, 7 Nov 2005, Paul Kienzle wrote:

[off topic]

Wouldn't it be lovely if all the functionality of R, Octave and Python
were available using familiar syntax.  Throw in Perl for string
manipulation and Tk for GUI.

That would be lovely.

If we retarget all of these packages to mono (or parrot if it's not
dead yet) it will be faster than rewriting them in Octave.  I see that
Python and Tcl are already started:

        http://www.dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

Some questions here:

 - How easy is it to convert C++ to C#? Or can the mono framework
    handle C++?
 - Why would the mono framework make it easier to integrate
     the languages features?
 - Wouldn't it be better to try to build something like Perl's
     Inline function for each language:

Here's what I'd like to write

# octave -q --eval \
'files = {PERLCODE: sort { lc($a) cmp lc($b) } map { s/^logfile-// } @ARGV };' \
   'printf("result = %f+/-%f", do_stats_on_files(files) ); ' \
   logfile-*.log

Is this your idea?

One approach is to call one interpreter from the other. That means you need all the interpreters installed and running and pairwise communication links between them.

The alternative approach is to target a common underlying object system for all the languages that you are using. With introspection you can make the compiled R methods directly available to Octave. You can then install the compiled R modules and make them available directly to Octave. Since they are compiled, you do not need the R interpreter available to use them. More importantly, once somebody does the work of wrapping e.g., the multivariate normal distribution functions in R, they are immediately available in Python and Octave.

That's the dream anyway. I don't know how successful it has been in practice for the languages already implemented in .net.

- Paul