Re: octave to matlab conversion

From: Ben Barrowes
Subject: Re: octave to matlab conversion
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:35:14 -0500

On Monday 07 November 2005 11:03 am, you wrote:
> On  7-Nov-2005, Andy Adler wrote:
>
> | The advantage I can see if for projects that are designed to support
> | both Octave and Matlab.
>
> OK, but converting the code in Octave like that does things already
> provided by Matlab doesn't make sense, does it?  Also, some Octave
> files may rely on specifics of the Octave internals, so a simple
> syntax translation may not be all that is required.
>
> jwe

If ML already provides it, then yes, converting octave code is redundant.
However, this
script is for codes that ML does not provide or would cost more to get from ML.

I admit I have no overarching purpose with this translator except to provide a
quick solution
for ML users who find octave code they would like to use as quickly as
possible. Some of the
code will not work because of the lack of octave internals, but people may be a
bit closer to
the functionality they are looking for by using this converter.

Perhaps an example: A colleague of mine sent me a program he had written (in
ML) to analyze
some data using some signal processing routines in the SigProc TB of matlab,
then plot the
results. My coworkers and I have ML, but no toolboxes. So, the quickest and
cheapest route to
using this code I saw was to grab the few SigProc routines I needed from
octave, use them in
ML, and plot the results in ML. For example I needed xcorr.m. Octaveforge has
an xcorr.m.
Perhaps there are other places to get an xcorr.m in ML style, but I didn't want
to go
searching for it when I knew octave's is compatible. xcorr.m also uses
prepad.m, postpad.m,
columns.m, rows.m, and possibly other octave-only functions. These functions
are either in
the SigProc TB in ML or not had at all in ML (rows.m and columns.m), but not
the standard
dist. However, these functions all required a switchover to ML style coding.
Easy in concept,
tedius to do by hand or with macros. With this converter. I could have added
the converted
octave and octaveforge directories to the end of my path and used my colleagues
program
instantly, ergo its utility.

bb