Whitespace question, [zeros (1, 2), ones (1, 2)]

From: Steve C. Thompson
Subject: Whitespace question, [zeros (1, 2), ones (1, 2)]
Date: Sat, 5 Nov 2005 16:09:27 -0800

Hi,

In my continuing pursuit in figuring out how to write programs
that don't suck, and are readable and consistent, I've ran into a
whitespace problem.  A toy example:

  octave:1> ones (1, 2)
  ans =

    1  1

  octave:2> zeros (1, 2)
  ans =

    0  0

  octave:3> [ones (1, 2), zeros (1, 2)]
  parse error:

    syntax error

  >>> [ones (1, 2), zeros (1, 2)]
                    ^

  octave:3> [ones(1, 2), zeros(1, 2)]
  ans =

    1  1  0  0

So, the whitespace in `[ones (1, 2), zeros (1, 2)]' causes
problem.  Should I just forget about whitespace between functions
and ()s?  I personally like the whitespace; I think that it aids
in readability.  However, I want to stick to a rule that will
work unconditionally.  (And, for my current collaboration
efforts, I require strict MATLAB compatibility [sigh].)

Thanks for any advice and suggestions you might have.

Steve