Re: reading HDF5 slices in octave

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: reading HDF5 slices in octave
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 10:06:26 +0100

Josselin Mouette a écrit :

Le vendredi 04 novembre 2005 à 12:53 -0600, Quentin Spencer a écrit :
Not that this is not really a replacement for the h5read plugin, since it only loads the entire HDF5 file. If you want to read in a single slice, say of a large 3d dataset, that is inconvenient (especially since Octave doesn't support 3d arrays, unless that's changed recently).
That has changed, but not very recently. It was around 2.1.52 or 53, if I recall correctly, which was released almost 2 years ago.

Currently, does it work as a full replacement for h5read.oct? If this
isn't the case, I can re-enable the plugin in h5utils.

Regards,

Note that there was also another change to hdf5 support at 2.1.53 that might cause some issues. To allow arbitrary types, all variables are now saved as a group, with a field "value" being the data and the field "type" being the name of the octave type. The reason for this is that the old way of saving hdf5 could not distinguish between say an int8 matrix and a double matrix that just happened to be saved as an int8 matrix. Additional, we couldn't extend the old way of saving hdf5 files for arbitrary octave types (sparse, galois fields, etc). This doesn't pose any issues when loading the file, but it does mean that octave will resave the data in a different format than it reads it in. So if there is an h5write.oct utility this might still be useful to have around...

Regards
David