Re: Octave of MP systems

From: Javier Fernández Baldomero
Subject: Re: Octave of MP systems
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:58:32 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

Jonathan Greenberg escribió:

> Has anyone used octave on huge MP systems (# processors > 256)?  Is there a

I have tried octave in a cluster of 8 computers, and Michael Creel
has written a paper on econometrics using octave on 16 computers.
Of course, I'm also interested in knowing of the most node-spreaded
octave parallel application so far :-)

Michael used MPITB for his parallel applications. I keep track of them
at
http://atc/javier-bin/mpitb             (this is mine)
http://pareto.uab.es/wp/2005/63705.pdf  (this is Michael's)

> listing of MP-optimized algorithms anywhere, and a discussion of issues
> concerning Octave MP support?

Again, I'm also interested if you find something on that subject.
There are the NAS Parallel Benchmarks, and people porting them
to optimized MATLAB code, like

http://www.ece.osu.edu/~bussb/research/

Some time ago I prepared a "scrapbook" to make up my mind about
the announcements and discussions on MPI in the octave mailing lists.
In a first section I extracted the download links as I found them
mentioned in the posts. In the second section I chronologically
ordered the different posts that I could find dealing on parallel
Octave, adding a small remark summarizing each thread. I made a
poster for the VecPar Conference (also linked in MPITB web above)
which used that info.

I still keep it, but all remarks are in spanish. Drop me an e-mail
and I'll gladly send it to you. Also drop me an e-mail or post
again here if you find more information on Octave on MP :-)

Last year I was looking for time-consuming octave applications to
port to MPITB (in the end it's been Michael who has done the work :-).
BTW, I would be glad if somebody helped me choose at least one Chemicals
application that I could port to MPITB, for several reasons:

- Octave was a ChemEng professor, the fastest when it came to
calculations :-)
        * http://www.octave.org/history.html
- There are strong research lines in ChemEng Depts dealing on computer
simulation
        * http://www.octave.org/history.html again
            Octave helped ChemEng students with reactor design
        * http://capd.cheme.cmu.edu/newsletters/March_03.PDF
            for instance, in this link you will hardly find a research line
            not dealing with time-consuming computations/simulations
- The examples of the reactor design book are online :-)
        * http://www.che.wisc.edu/jbr-group/
          http://www.che.wisc.edu/~jbraw/chemreacfun/

If only somebody could help me choose one of those examples to
parallelize :-)
(one that is time-consuming and can be somehow split in independent
subtasks)

-javier