Re: octave -> gnuplot -> latex in labels HOWTO ?

From: Jonathan Stickel
Subject: Re: octave -> gnuplot -> latex in labels HOWTO ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:16:44 -0800

Simple subscript and superscript commands ("_" or "^") do work
automatically with the eps gnuplot terminal.  For more advanced latex, I
use the xfig terminal, and then use "figfrag":

http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/graphics/figfrag/?action=/tex-archive/graphics/

figfrag converts xfig files to eps, processing all the latex commands.
I had to patch figfrag to use epstool for bounding box correction, so
let me know if you want the patch.  Also, I've found I have to open up
the xfig file and resave it; for some reason figfrag doesn't like the
xfig file output by gnuplot.  Oh, and there is also the program "fig2ps"
that does nearly the same thing; I just happen to like figfrag better.

HTH,
Jonathan

Matt Flax wrote:
Hello,

I would like some math formatting inserted into my wordprocessor Figure x/y labels.

I would like to put some formatting in my xlabels ... something like :
 gset xlabel '$\\gamma h_2$'
Which when viewed through the word processor should be printed as the Greek letter Gamma and an 'h' with a '2' as subscript.

Does anyone out there have PERSONAL examples of how to put latex into the labels of plots .... and then import to latex or preferably LyX ?

Normally LyX allows you to export it as a simple .fig file which gets converted on the fly , however the labels don't seem to enter the tex or lyx math modes ...

thanks
Matt