Re: octave -> gnuplot -> latex in labels HOWTO ?

From: Joan Picanyol i Puig
Subject: Re: octave -> gnuplot -> latex in labels HOWTO ?
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 12:25:54 +0100

* Matt Flax <address@hidden> [20050124 08:03]:
> I would like to put some formatting in my xlabels ... something like :
>  gset xlabel '$\\gamma h_2$'

There are many caveats in attempting this. Some of them:

1.- pdflatex and dvipdf handle graphics in a different way
2.- eps does not allow Latex commands
3.- you have to escape the backslashes appropiately

For Octave+gnuplot I've settled using the epslatex terminal, which
generates a .tex file with the text and an .eps file with the graphics.
I've I want to generate a PDF file I convert the .eps with epstopdf

I have some code that looks like this (long lines):

graw (sprintf("set output
\"plots/latex/simulacions_previes-v%d-b%1d-n%d-f%d.eps\"\n",v, beta*10, noise,
fading));
gset term epslatex color;
title(sprintf("$\\\\\\\\beta = %3.2f$ (memòria: %d snapshots), $v=%d$",beta,
mem,v));
axis; gset xlabel "$t$ [s]"; gset ylabel "$\\\\theta [^\\\\circ]$"
axis; replot; gset term x11; %gset output;

Note how sprintf "eats" half the backslashes, but then I get dynamic
file names, I'm not sure I got to understand why gset need twice as many
though. If you go the epslatex route, watch out for the paths encoded in
the .tex files.

Oh! And forget about Lyx, LateX is not worth it (well, maybe for the
tables...)

qvb
--
pica