Re: Evaluating quadratic functions

From: Paul Laub
Subject: Re: Evaluating quadratic functions
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 18:16:31 -0800

Tom,

Try replacing the exponentiation operator  ^  with the element by
element exponentiation operator  .^  (dot caret).  Using ^ alone
computes a matrix power. For that a square matrix is needed. Note that
for a = [1 2; 3 4] ,  a ^ 2  and a * a give one and the same answer,
while a .^ 2 and a .* a give one and the same different answer. a must
be square for the former but not necessarily for the later.  All are
correct. Which is appropriate, though, depends on your purpose.

Paul Laub