PS: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.3.3

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: PS: Building Octave on cygwin with gcc3.3.3
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 17:51:54 -0500

On 20-Jan-2005, Paul Thomas <address@hidden> wrote:

| Thus, I came to the conclusion that some other part of gcc than new/delete
| is primarily responsible. I am beginning, from other non-octave indications,
| to SUSPECT virtual functions and their Vtable accesses as the culprit.  I
| intend to use a model of the octave classes to do comparative timing tests.

It is possible that having virtual functions forces some exception
handling code to be generated.  I don't know the details.  It seems
that you could easily check this by looking at the generated code.

In any case, I don't think it is reasonable to think of Octave's use
of virtual functions as the bug that needs to be fixed.  It seems to
me that the solution to all of this mess is to have a version of GCC
that uses a better method of exception handling (we'll need that
anyway, as it is likely that in the future, Octave will use exception
handling more extensively).  As I understand it, we already have a
fix, but the current implementation causes some problems for code that
combines C++ exception handling with W32 API functions.

Another problem that has not received much attention (as far as I can
tell) is why libstdc++ is not built as a shared library on Windows
systems.  Does anyone have any clues about why that is not done by
default?  Having a shared libstdc++ would make .oct files much
smaller.

jwe