Re: embedding/callling octave functions in Java

From: Joel Andersson
Subject: Re: embedding/callling octave functions in Java
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:08:46 -0600

Xavier Gonzalez wrote:
> I am trying to run some simulations that require some heavy computing.
> For my numerical analysis projects, I have been using octave for more
> than 3 years now. However, this model is written in Java, and I would
> like to use some of the tools that are available in octave but not in
> Java.

If you have time to spare you can take look at a this jni interface to
octave.

http://www.d.kth.se/~bja/octavej.tar.gz

It shows how you can call an octave function by name and get the result
back to java. It is based on the octave_embed example.

It's pretty primitive, for instance, it only supports real valued
scalars and matrices. But it's easy to add new types, I think :-)

Also, values are copied from octave to java and vice versa, one should
use java.nio buffers for sharing data instead.

- Joel