gsplot change between 2.1.57 and 2.1.64?

From: E. Joshua Rigler
Subject: gsplot change between 2.1.57 and 2.1.64?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 17:22:43 -0700

I recently noticed that none of the surface plotting routines (surf,
surfc, mesh, etc.) work in 2.1.64 if I pass a solitary matrix (Z), as
opposed to passing (x,y,Z).  I tried an older version (2.1.57), and
everything worked fine.  I traced things back a bit and the problem
seems to lie in or somewhere upstream of gsplot.  I compared text files
/tmp/oct-*****, and they were identical after running the command
"mesh(peaks)" from both Octave versions, but doing so in 2.1.64 results
in the following error from gnuplot:

        sp '/tmp/oct-RemFGc' u 1:2:3 t "line 1"
                                                           ^
        line 0: no functions or data to plot

I'm guessing this is a known bug, but can anyone suggest a fix that
doesn't involve patching the source and recompiling Octave from
scratch?  If not, can I get a tentative date for the next Octave release
so I can decide if its worth just waiting for 2.1.65 (it takes nearly
half a work-day to compile octave and octave-forge from scratch on my
desktop computer and full day on my laptop!).  Thanks.

-EJR