Re: Octave on AIX 5.1

From: Walter Landry
Subject: Re: Octave on AIX 5.1
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:22:39 -0600

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 06:38 -0800, John W. Eaton wrote:
> On 10-Jan-2005, Walter Landry <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I have been trying to build Octave on AIX 5.1, without much success.
>
> Can you please provide some more details about what the problems are
> so they can be fixed?

They are not so much a problem with Octave as with getting a working
version of gcc installed.  The only installed version of gcc is 2.9aix,
which is too old to build Octave.  There are binaries of gcc 3.3.4
available, but I ran into this problem

http://www.octave.org/octave-lists/archive/help-octave.2003/msg00577.html

I tried to install gcc 3.4, but that failed for a reason I can't
remember.

The IBM native compiler is installed, but the docs for Octave indicate
that gcc is required.  Also, configure finds the old version of gcc and
not the native compiler.  Is gcc really required?

Cheers,
Walter Landry
address@hidden