Efficiently accessing subarrays from an image file...

From: Jonathan Greenberg
Subject: Efficiently accessing subarrays from an image file...
Date: Fri, 07 Jan 2005 21:48:21 -0800

I was hoping I could get some hints on the most efficient way to perform
"window" analyses on an image:

inputs: large multiband image (satellite imagery), binary format
analysis: perform some repeated algorithm using a moving window of a fixed
size
    - example: for each location in the matrix, calculate the variance of
the 3 x 5 rectangle of matrix elements (e.g. Pixels) surrounding the current
location

What I'm hoping are some ways to speed this up for use in a MP environment
-- what optimizations can help me do this?

--j

--
Jonathan A. Greenberg
Ph.D., Ecology