Re: Precision

From: Diego Ruiz
Subject: Re: Precision
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 10:57:21 +0800

Thakns for your answer.

I'm facing the following problem:

A is an M-dimensional matrix (M^S x M^S x M). Just consider the
case of M=3 and S=5, we have a matrix with 177147 cells, with
double precision this means we need around 3MB of free memory or
storage space. If we let M=4 that number becomes overwhelming.
With single precision this requirement is importantly reduced.

Actually lots of cells in A are zero. That was the reason for
which I wanted to work with SPARSE matrices. But when trying to
install Octave Forge in my Fedora Core 2 OS I faced several
problems (you can check the discussion held some days ago on the
topic).

I've not expertise in Unix/Linux operative systems and solving
those problems turns out to be quite challenging. That's the
reason for which considered the idea of using single precision.
Do you have a better idea?

Thank you,
Diego Ruiz

                 Diego Ruiz Hernández
               www.econ.upf.es/~diruiz

Universitat Pompeu Fabra,  Dept. d'Economia i Empresa
          c/ Ramon Trias Fargas 25-27, 08025,
                   Barcelona, ESPAÑA

Fall Term:
         Edinburgh University, School Of Management
        William Robertson Building, 50 George Square
                 Edinburgh EH8 9JY, UK