Re: Comments on pwelch.m

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Comments on pwelch.m
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 18:55:15 -0700

on 11/7/04 6:13 PM, Dmitri A. Sergatskov at address@hidden wrote:

> Joe Koski wrote:
>>
>> The window used for the octave-forge pwelch.m is the Hanning window. The
>                                                         ^^^^^^^
>> MATLAB equivalent claims to use the Hamming window (my favorite). No big
>                                        ^^^^^^^
>
> While we at it. "Hanning window" is misnomer and should be called "Hann
> window"
> (after Julius von Hann). "Hamming window" named after Richard Hamming.

Agreed, Dmitri, but the term "Hanning window" has been part of the digital
signal analysis jargon for many years. The ancient text books on my shelf
(Oppenheim and Schafer, and Stearns) use the terms "Hanning" and "Hamming".
Only Hamming himself is careful to call it a von Hann window. I guess since
the windows are similar cosine windows, people think that the names should
also be similar.

Joe