Re: Octave 2.1.57 vecLib Panther 10.3.4

From: Fredrik Lingvall
Subject: Re: Octave 2.1.57 vecLib Panther 10.3.4
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 16:57:30 +0200

I recommend linking Octave with the GOTO BLAS libs instead of ATLAS.
GOTO BLAS can be found at:

http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame/goto/

It got a speedup with about a factor of 2 on matrix multiplictions on a dual P4
using Matlab compared to the Matlab libs (which I think is ATLAS). There
is no G5 version available yet but I think it will be soon.

Regards,

Fredrik

Paul Kienzle wrote:

The princomp routine on octave forge uses
    C = cov(X)
    [U,D,pc] = svd(C,1)
Can you tell us which of these is running slower on large arrays?

How does the performance of other routines such as
lu, A*B and qr compare?

Does biG5 mean dual processor?  Does veclib automatically
parallelize blas?  Are both processors active?

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden