Re: no way for simple matrix lookup ?

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: no way for simple matrix lookup ?
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2004 12:53:09 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004, D. Goel wrote:

The following message is a courtesy copy of an article that has been posted to gmane.comp.gnu.octave.general as well.

Mike, that doesn't work, your recipe below is the first thing I tried.

Example, A = [1 3; 2 4]
b=c=[1 2].

The answer needed is [1 4], but both of your answers below give me
[1 2 3 4].

It works like this: In your example, A(b,c) tells Octave to extract from matrix 'A' the rows given by 'b' and the colums given by 'c'. Both 'b' and 'c' equal [1,2], so Octave extracts rows 1 and 2 and columns 1 and 2 from matrix 'A'.

Now I think I understand you. You want A(1,1) and A(2,2). Strangely, I wsa trying to do that yesterday(!) and failed. I hope someone will tell you what you need to do because I also need to know.

Mike

--
Michael B. Miller, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor