Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:52:30 -0500

Tom G. Smith (Smitty) wrote:

Perhaps unfortunately, I'm running RH9, and just purchased
RedHat Enterprise Linux AS.  We have a bank of about 20 computers
running under Condor, all at RH9, and that's where we want to
use Octave.  We have a license for MATLAB, but it's only one
concurrent user; that doesn't help us much on the bank running
under Condor.  The researcher I'm working for does some image
processing in MATLAB, and he's hoping he can reduce his turnaround
by converting to Octave and using our bank of computers under Condor.
I'm guessing then that you want to stay with RH since you paid good money for it. I have built RPMS for octave and octave-forge for Fedora that should probably rebuild on RedHat using the spec file that Paul referred to (I'm the author). However, the only package I haven't included is qhull which apparently is precicely what you need.

<>... I got both octave 2.1.57 and octave-forge to compile, with the indicated source
changes I've previously indicated, but then I got a "dispatch.oct is
not a valid shared library" message when immediately upon invoking
octave.

I have run into this recently when I switched from Fedora 1 to Fedora 2. If my experience is applicable here, it's a path problem. Some of the RPM builds put the .oct files in
/usr/libexec/octave/2.1.57/site/oct/i686-redhat-linux-gnu/octave-forge
while other builds put them in
/usr/libexec/octave/2.1.57/site/oct/i686-pc-linux-gnu/octave-forge
The first thing you should do is look at the directory structure of /usr/libexec/octave and see if both of these exist. If one of them is empty, that's probably where octave is looking, and you could move all of the files over there manually.

If I have time, I'm hoping to try to get an RPM build of octave-forge with qhull support soon. I'll let you know when I do.

I hope this helps.

-Quentin