Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: [OctDev] Octave-forge Development (fwd)
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 14:26:39 -0400

On Jun 11, 2004, at 1:05 PM, John W. Eaton wrote:

On 11-Jun-2004, Tom G. Smith (Smitty) <address@hidden> wrote:

| I finally got a working octave, but only by using rpms, and even
| then I had to force it it ignore dependencies.  Without --nodeps I
| got this error:
|
|       error: Failed dependencies:
|               libqhull >= 0:2003.1 is needed by octave-forge-2004.02.12-2mdk
|
| But, as you can see below, the qhull I was installing *was* >= 2003.1, and
| I haven't located an rpm for a release any more recent than 2003.1-1:

It's unfortunate that there are problems with the RPM files that you
found, but ensuring that the packages for every distribution work
correctly is a bit beyond the scope of the Octave and Octave-forge
projects.  If you want to see the packages fixed, then I suggest that
you report the problems you have with the RPM packages to whoever
built them.

octave-forge/admin/RPM has spec files in it.  I don't know how
distribution specific they are.

I think the binaries for a particular distribution belong on a
distribution specific site (like debian, fedora, fink, ports) except
in the cases where there are no distribution specific sites
(windows, os x native), in which case they can live on
octave-forge.

Given that nobody is paid to maintain octave-forge, it is up
to the users of a particular distribution to volunteer to keep
the packages up to date.

Regarding the dependency problems of octave-forge, I would
prefer to see recommendations rather than requirements for
packages like qhull, ginac, gsl, etc.

The functions should just work if the supporting libraries are
installed, otherwise a nice error message should pop up
saying that a particular package needs to be installed first.
Does anybody know how to do this in a platform
independent way?

One more thing, ~3000 downloads of the octave-forge source,
~20000 downloads of windows binary.  If you all could convince
your institutions to donate about $10 per user per year to the
University of Wisconsin foundation:

        http://www.uwfoundation.wisc.edu/index.html

designated for Octave development, that would be enough to
support two full time employees.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden