Re: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: downloaded octave from fink and can't start it
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:54:11 +0200

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:29:12 -0500
djanse1 <address@hidden> wrote:

> Thats's what it was...
> I ran into an IT friend of mine this morning on the train and he fixed it for
> me.
> He said the .profile had . /sw/bin/init.sh in it but didn't execute it when
> X11 was started up.
> He bypassed it by giving it a second start-up file attached that contains the
> same information and
> now it works fine.
> A bit strange to me, but hey it works..so thanks for all your help.

I think you will need to add the option "-l" to xterm command in the X11 startup
items and X11 applications. "xterm -l" starts a "login shell", which forces
~/.profile to be read.

The reason why ~/.profile is not sourced by default is that (unlike X11 on other
Unices) the Aqua GUI is not started as a subprocess of a shell and is thus
agnostic
to all entries in ~/.profile. It does read however ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist,
but
this file can only set environment variables and cannot source shell scripts
like
/sw/bin/init.sh.

Christoph