Re: continued fraction expansion

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: continued fraction expansion
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 07:47:17 -0400

On May 28, 2004, at 3:36 AM, Bart Vandewoestyne wrote:

On Thu, May 27, 2004 at 06:05:00PM -0700, Henry F. Mollet wrote:
Thanks for explaining what the problem was after I've downloaded rat.m for
practice ...

Just a silly question, but if i try to download rat.m from the link at
http://octave.sourceforge.net/afunclist.html#rat i get:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access
/viewcvs.py/~checkout~/octave/octave-forge/main/general/rat.m on this
server.

Bit rot --- the alphabetical listing hasn't been maintained.

The categorical listing:

        http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/index.html

has an alphabet bar on the top which functions equivalently.

Can somebody with web design experience pretty up the categorical
listing?

Is this normal behaviour?  I also seem to have problems updating my
octave cvs tree (it's been a while since i've tried that... i could be
doing something wrong i guess...)

address@hidden:~/cvs_stuff/octave$ cvs
-d:pserver:address@hidden:/cvsroot/octave login
Logging in to :pserver:address@hidden:2401/cvsroot/octave
CVS password:
address@hidden:~/cvs_stuff/octave$ cvs update
cvs [update aborted]: connect to www.octave.org(128.104.176.132):2401
failed: Connection refused

The file CVS/Root changed a while back, and I don't know why:

        $ cat octave-forge-old/CVS/Root
        :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/octave
        $ cat octave-forge/CVS/Root
        :ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/octave

Removing .octave from the address if octave-forge-old seems to
work, so I did the following:

for f in `find . -name Root -print`; do mv $f $f.in; sed -e's/[.]octave//' <$f.in > $f; rm -f $f.in; done

... and tried it.
Henry
octave:6> x=rand
x = 0.31647
octave:7> rat(x)
usage: [n,d] = rat(x,tol)
error: evaluating if command near line 33, column 3
error: called from `rat' in file `/Users/mollet/CandO/rat.m'
octave:7> [n,d]=rat(x)
n =   632
d =   1997
octave:8> [n,d]=rat(x, 0.0000001)
n =   632
d =   1997

OK, if somebody can tell me where i can get rat.m, I'll see what I can do so rat(x, tol) returns a vector or matrix with the continued fraction expansion
digits of x.  I'll look at it this weekend or so...

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/octave/ octave-forge/main/general/rat.m?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

Thanks,

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden