Re: Plotting vectors as points

From: Sue Stones
Subject: Re: Plotting vectors as points
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 22:36:28 +1000

On Sunday 16 May 2004 9:27 pm, Christoph Dalitz wrote:
> On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:48:03 +1000
>
> Sue Stones <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Now I need to see if I can determine the format string with a variable.
> > Does anyone know if this is possible.
>
> Do you mean the following?
>
>       p1 = [1; 4];            % vector p1
>       formatstring = "@b*";
>       plot(p1(1,:), p1(2,:), formatstring);

Yes that'w what I mean.  It seems that at least in some repects variable
substitution works like I expect it to :-)

> > I still can't believe its such an unusual thing to do, but at least I've
> > done it.  Or is it so obvious that there is no need to mention it in the
> > tutorials???
>
> From the regular plotting questions on this list we can learn that the
> Octave plotting documentation might need some polishing. Just a reference
> to the gnuplot manual is probably not enough, in particular since some
> gnuplot options (e.g. line thickness) are not supported by Octave.
>
> And when it comes to more advanced plotting (eg. 3d-plots) many baisc
> things are undocumented and very difficult to figure out.
>
> Maybe this is something for a seperate howto document or the Octave wiki?
>
> Christoph

The manual is certainly not enough when I walk in and want to do some work
with it.  It would be slightly better if I had time to work throug a tutorial
perhaps.  But I generally find I don't learn it until I try to use it anyway,
so I still need better documentation.

Perhaps it will come one day!

Thanks Christoph.