Re: Plotting vectors as points

From: Christoph Dalitz
Subject: Re: Plotting vectors as points
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 13:27:03 +0200

On Sat, 15 May 2004 22:48:03 +1000
Sue Stones <address@hidden> wrote:

> Now I need to see if I can determine the format string with a variable.  Does
> anyone know if this is possible.

Do you mean the following?

        p1 = [1; 4];            % vector p1
        formatstring = "@b*";
        plot(p1(1,:), p1(2,:), formatstring);

> I still can't believe its such an unusual thing to do, but at least I've done
> it.  Or is it so obvious that there is no need to mention it in the
> tutorials???
>
>From the regular plotting questions on this list we can learn that the Octave
>plotting
documentation might need some polishing. Just a reference to the gnuplot manual
is probably
not enough, in particular since some gnuplot options (e.g. line thickness) are
not supported
by Octave.

And when it comes to more advanced plotting (eg. 3d-plots) many baisc things
are undocumented
and very difficult to figure out.

Maybe this is something for a seperate howto document or the Octave wiki?

Christoph