Concatenation of cell arrays

From: A S Hodel
Subject: Concatenation of cell arrays
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 10:10:13 -0500

I've noted a difference in how Octave and MATLAB process the concatenation of cell arrays.
The notation of
e = [a,b; c,d]
will combine compatibly dimensioned cell arrays into a single cell array in MATLAB, but results in an error in octave. I've put an example case below.

Questions: is this worth putting into Octave? (MATLAB compatibility is nice, but a good design is nicer) I think the answer is that this would be a nice feature, which leads to ...
Q2: How much work would be involved in putting this into Octave?
I've not delved into the Octave sources for a long time, and that was only in the numerical guts of the code, not the data-structure "computer-sciencey" part of Octave.

Here's an example:

octave:1> a = {1;2;3};
octave:2> b = {4;5;6};
octave:3> c = [a;b]
error: octave_base_value::array_value(): wrong type argument `cell'
error: evaluating assignment expression near line 3, column 3

>> a = {1;2;3};
>> b = {4;5;6};
>> c = [a;b]

c =

    [1]
    [2]
    [3]
    [4]
    [5]
    [6]

A. S. Hodel Dept. ECE, 200 Broun Hall, Auburn University AL 36849-5201
(334) 844-1854/fax(334) 844-1809, http://www.eng.auburn.edu/users/hodelas , address@hidden