Re: problem loading hdf5 file

From: David Bateman
Subject: Re: problem loading hdf5 file
Date: Tue, 4 May 2004 11:10:10 +0200

According to John W. Eaton <address@hidden> (on 05/04/04):
> On  3-May-2004, E. Joshua Rigler <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> | I don't really know how important it is to "fix" Octave to handle poorly
> | designed data files.  It's probably just easier for me to write some
> | h5dump scripts for now.  Thanks again for your feedback.
>
> I don't think Octave's load command should be fixed to handle
> arbitrary HDF5 files.  Instead, it would probably be better to have a
> thin wrapper around the HDF5 library that would allow you to easily
> write an Octave script to read whatever HDF5 files you have (still
> assuming that you can represent the data in some way inside Octave).

I cringe..... Not saying this is impossible, but you'd basically have to
write a version of ls-hdf5.cc for this wrapper rather than reusing what
is already there.

Looking at the suggestion to use "h5dump", I think a combination of this,
a good xml DTD and xmlread from octave-forge might do the trick. Though
it seems the DTD delivered with h5dump can't handle arbitrary compound
datatypes either, so something new would have to be written....

Cheers
David

Motorola CRM                                 +33 1 69 35 48 04 (Ph)
Parc Les Algorithmes, Commune de St Aubin    +33 1 69 35 77 01 (Fax)
91193 Gif-Sur-Yvette FRANCE

[x] General Business Information
[ ] Motorola Internal Use Only
[ ] Motorola Confidential Proprietary