Re: how to install sparse matrix package ?

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: how to install sparse matrix package ?
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:12:13 -0500

Ricardo Zorzetto Nicoliello Vencio wrote:

Hi everyone,

Sorry for the newbie question. I want to retire my MATLAB and use Octave
and need some basic help to intall some code.

I want to use the sparse matrix codes at:
http://octave.sourceforge.net/index/sparse.html but couldn't undertand the
logic behind installing things in Octave. There are .m and C files. How
can I habilitate my Octave section to use such codes ?

The C files are used to generate exectuable code which can be called from octave. The functions written in C usually can also be written as .m files, but some types of functions can run significantly faster when written in C. The makefile that comes with octave-forge should detect your system settings and build the C files--I think the README file that comes with octave-forge explains it.

I don't have root privileges to install things, but if I explain the
process to Him, it could be done for me.
It is possible to build octave-forge (and octave itself) and run in within your own home directory, but it's not the easiest way. If your system is Debian, precompiled packages are available and can be installed via apt-get. I have built RPM packages for Fedora Linux, but they are not very current. I'm working on updating it. I'll probably create a complete set of octave-forge and octave packages for Fedora Core 2 when it comes out in a few weeks.

-Quentin