Re: "PATH"

From: Miquel Cabanas
Subject: Re: "PATH"
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 17:29:24 +0200

hi,

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 09:31:37AM -0500, daniel atwater wrote:

> I was trying to set the startup path in OCTAVE by typing the following:
> putenv("PATH","/sw/bin/:...:/Users/dpath2o/Programming/");
> setenv("PATH");
> "error: `setenv' undefined near line 28 column 1
>
> I've tried several attempts to put "PATH" back to its default but
> nothing has worked...
> Any suggestions?
> ALSO, is this the location of the startup path?
> How do I define my own personal startup path, if this is even possible?

1) setenv() does not exist in Octave (though, maybe it's defined in
   octave-forge?

2) to manipulate the Octave's path, you should use the function
   path() that will show/set the LOADPATH variable

   type "help path" at the Octave's prompt to learn more about path()

3) you can set your default path in the file "$HOME/.octaverc", where
   $HOME is your home directory, e.g. "/usr/people/daniel" or
   "/home/daniel".

   type "help -i octaverc" and "help -i LOADPATH" to learn more
   about LOADPATH, DEFAULT_LOADPATH, and

For instance, my current .octaverc file includes a line like,

   LOADPATH = [ ":/home/miquel/Octave//", LOADPATH ];

where I set up my LOADPATH (Octave's PATH) to be the my Octave directory
":/home/miquel/Octave//" and all subdirs within it (as indicated by the
double forward slash at the end) and the default LOADPATH set by
Octave's initialization scripts.

Miquel

--
SeRMN, Universitat Autonoma de Barcelona (address@hidden)