Re: How to keep print compatiable with MATLAB

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: Re: How to keep print compatiable with MATLAB
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 23:25:37 -0500

Joe Koski wrote:

Just a quick observation. If Octave and Matlab were compiled instead of
interpreted, this approach wouldn't be possible at all. A compiler would
choke when it saw the other language's instruction set in the if statement.
Are there potential syntax checking problems that could derail this
approach?
Yes. I've run into this. Here are a few things that come to mind that are legal in octave but can't be used if you want your code to be MATLAB compatible:

- using the # character for comments
- the C-style operations: ++, +=, etc
- subscripts of expressions, for example: sqrt(a)(1:10)
- a whole lot of graphics-related commands (as already observed in the e-mail that started this thread).

Quentin

It seems like I've run into other examples, but this is all I can think of right now.