Multi Column Data file to plot, gradient plot, or gradient of gradient p

From: Timothy Milstead
Subject: Multi Column Data file to plot, gradient plot, or gradient of gradient plot
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 18:39:29 -0000

I have a data file with x values in one column and corresponding y values in
the other columns of which there are one or more.
One set of values per line.
Values separated by comma (this can be changed if need be)
I am completely and utterly new to octave.
I usually learn a new package by example, I'm not very good at RTFM'ing.
I would like to xy plot each column as a separate (coloured?) line and then
xy plot the gradient of the data as lines and then finally the gradient of
the gradient as xy plot.
How on earth do I do this?
Do I need to use octave or will gnuplot do it on its own (if so how?)
Please be verbose and feel free to patronise (as long as it's useful to the
goal!)

Tim.