Re: Complete bewildered newbie question

From: David Nicholls
Subject: Re: Complete bewildered newbie question
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 12:57:44 +1100

Paul Kienzle wrote:

> On Mar 24, 2004, at 7:25 AM, David Nicholls wrote:
>
>> Q.3 When I ran the install program, as it finished, it asked for
>> details
>> of my preferred editor, so I entered
>> C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.exe
>> However when I type 'edit "filename.m"' in the rxvt window, I get the
>> message 'C/Program: not found' which suggests to me the the entry in
>> the
>> file start_octave.sh is wrong.  What should the line starting 'export
>> EDITOR=' have in it?  Or is the idiot Windows file naming system
>> incompatible?  If I double click on the .m file in Windows Explorer, it
>> opens in notepad.
>
> Does your EDITOR= line have quotes around the filename?
> Mine does not.  This would be a problem if I were not using
> notepad.

Paul,

The previous setting did have double quotes, but when I removed them in
stat_octave.sh, the problem still occurred.

The non-opening of the file when I set the editor string to
C:/progra~1... sounds like a windows DDE thing.

The main reason I wanted to used NoteTab is because it knows about Unix
style end of line characters, and notepad doesn't.  Not a major problem.

DN
--

David Nicholls
Nicholls Communications