Complete bewildered newbie question

From: David Nicholls
Subject: Complete bewildered newbie question
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 23:25:43 +1100

(a Windows user, of course)
I have several questions stemming from a desire to run a simple Matlab
program (sent to me by a friend) in Octave.  I'm a bit reluctant to ask
what may be "RT-M" questions, but I've looked around it, and searched
the newsgroup archive for two years back without any enlightenment.  So
here goes:

I have installed the Sourceforge complete binary v 2.1.50
(octave-2.1.50a-inst.exe) under Windows 2K. It appears to have installed OK.

Q.1  When I type (in the rxvt window) the command 'help -i anything' I
get the message:
'info: /opt/octave/info/octave.info: No such file or directory
help: sorry, `anything' is not indexed in the manual'
where 'anything' is any one of the Octave commands
Is this supposed to happen, or if not, is it a bug, or do I need to
change one of the config files?  If I just type 'help' (with 'more'
set!) I get a tone of stuff.

Q.2  Even stupider, from within the rxvt window, how do I run - or
attempt to run - the .m Matlab file?  I can do this in a DOS window
using 'octave filename.m -qf' (and it gives a series of errors
suggesting it has read the file - a start at least) but I am at a loss
to know how to run  the same file from the rxvt window.

Q.3 When I ran the install program, as it finished, it asked for details
of my preferred editor, so I entered
C:\Program Files\NoteTab Pro\NoteTab.exe
However when I type 'edit "filename.m"' in the rxvt window, I get the
message 'C/Program: not found' which suggests to me the the entry in the
file start_octave.sh is wrong.  What should the line starting 'export
EDITOR=' have in it?  Or is the idiot Windows file naming system
incompatible?  If I double click on the .m file in Windows Explorer, it
opens in notepad.

Any advice appreciated.  (I am at the bottom of what looks like a long
steep learning curve.)

DN, Canberra, Oz
--

David Nicholls