Re: Which version of Octave?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Re: Which version of Octave?
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2004 14:12:05 -0700

on 3/23/04 11:30 AM, Henry F. Mollet at address@hidden wrote:

> Joe,
> Why could you not change to tcsh (advanced csh) as your default shell? Is
> the bash shell, similar to the Bourne shell, not a step backward?
> Henry

This is probably not the proper forum for the UNIX shell debate. The bash
shell is now the "standard" for OS X Panther. I could apparently switch back
to tcsh without installing anything.

Years ago, when I was using the Korn shell (K-shell) on HP machines and I'd
ask how to do something, the local UNIX gurus would always reply with
something like "I don't know, I use C-shell." My thought is that staying
with the "standard" shell will avoid this type of answer for questions
directed toward the Apple/Panther community.

The more pertinent issues may be: Which shell is prevalent on the Linux
machines that seem to be the native habitat for Octave? Is there a shell
that has some particular advantages for the Octave user?

Joe