Which version of Octave?

From: Joe Koski
Subject: Which version of Octave?
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 15:35:03 -0700

OK, my new dual processor G5 Mac with OS X 10.3.3 is up and running, and I
want to install a newer version of Octave. If Per, Paul, Guarav, and other
Mac users could provide some advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

One of the scripts that I need to convert uses 3D matrices, so I probably
need something relatively new. How about 2.1.55 vs. 2.1.57? Which
multi-dimension version of octave has had the most polishing and bug fixes?
I also need a compatible version of octave-forge. Recommendations? (as of
today, anyway)

I would prefer to avoid installing Fink, although that may become my easiest
route. What's available in the Mac compatible world? Are there now make
files that work unchanged with newer Macs available? How current are the
DarwinPorts versions? How current is the HPC binary version, and does it
support dynamic linking and octave-forge? I would prefer to install into
/usr/local if possible.

I guess I just have too many choices, and that's good.

Joe Koski