Re: printing errors in octave/matlab

From: Bart Vandewoestyne
Subject: Re: printing errors in octave/matlab
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 18:58:09 +0100

On Mon, Mar 15, 2004 at 10:08:49PM -0500, Paul Kienzle wrote:

> On Mar 15, 2004, at 1:05 PM, Miquel Cabanas wrote:
>
> >I would say it's an error() to post M's questions to an O's list,
> >and that rather you should ask it at an M's forum... nonetheless,
>
> I believe it is a legitimate pursuit to have the software you
> write available to as wide an audience as possible.   Especially
> when it is only a matter of a few small changes to make it run
> on another platform.
>
> Please, Bart, add a page to http://wiki.octave.org describing the
> issues you encounter as you try to write portable software so in
> future we can point others there.

Thanks PauL,

The reason for me trying to write portable code is that much of my
collegues prefer Matlab and are not jumping around to even try Octave,
or even don't know about it (although i do my best, but i don't want to
force people in a certain direction like much geeks do...)

I came across your matcompat website, and it's quite a help in writing
compatible Matlab/Octave stuff...

I was also thinking of writing down my experiences, although i hadn't
really thought about the file format i would write these things down.
You talk about a Wiki, but I haven 't got any experience in writing to
Wiki's... i was more thinking about writing just a plain good old
fashioned HTML file.

But while we're at it: what would be a good document format to write my
experiences in writing portable Matlab/Octave code?  I don't say that in
the long run I will have a magnificent multi-page document, but hey...
during my PhD years (i've just started), i might collect some usefull
tips, and keeping them in a clean document would be good for all of us i
guess...

So... any suggestions on the document format?  HTML?  LaTeX?  Wiki?
Other formats that are more appropriate for converting to many other
formats?

Just send me your thoughts, and i might be motivated to contribute :-)

Regards,
Bart

--
Bart Vandewoestyne                             GSM: +32 (0)478 397 697
Naamsesteenweg 328 bus 201