Re: problems on suse 9.0

From: JD Cole
Subject: Re: problems on suse 9.0
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 04:30:41 -0800

Emilio,
OK, before we get any deeper, have you checked to see if Suse has a newer package for Octave? This may fix everything, as Dmitri elluded to, and would definitely be easier. I would suggest recompile, but as a Linux beginner, that may be a little more than you want to swallow right now, not to mention you would probably have the same problem that your having now. (Don't worry about that last line.) When you tried to run /sbin/ldconfig, did it specifically say "command not found"? Or did it not work? The reason I ask is that probably every Linux distribution has that command.

OK, I know you said your new at Linux, so first, do you understand what I mean when I say you need to be the "root" user to execute that command? (If not, at the command line type 'su', and then your administrator password. This should get you to the prompt which ends with a pound sign, '#')

So if you got that far, ldconfig should be in one of these places:

/sbin/ldconfig

or

/usr/sbin/ldconfig

After that, you should be OK, get back to me if you're still having problems.

JD

emilio wrote:

hi JD

first of all thanks for your help. i read your message and i have to say i didnt get to solve the problem. after this atempt and with the information of your coment i made a search in the internet and found the next text:

"Problem: Trying to run octave gives:
appc63:/etc # octave
octave: error while loading shared libraries: liboctinterp.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Solution: add /usr/lib/octave-2.1.49 to your /etc/ld.so.conf file then do:
/sbin/ldconfig"

and of course i tried it , but at the end i got an error when i tried to do ldconfig. it seems this comand does not exist on my computer (?)

emilio