Re: building octave-2.1.xx on SGI irix6.5

From: Clinton Chee
Subject: Re: building octave-2.1.xx on SGI irix6.5
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:48:33 +1100

G'day David,

If you or anyone wish to compile octave on SGI IRIX6.5 using the native MIPSPro compilers,
then here's what I found to work:

1. Put the contents below as an executable called "configureOctave" for example:
export myINC=" -I/home/chee/usr/include/CC "
export sysINC="  -I/usr/local/include "
export OPT=" -64 -w -O3 "
export CC="cc"
export CXX=CC
export F77=f77
export LDFLAGS="-L$HOME/usr/lib $OPT"
export CXXFLAGS="$myINC $sysINC -ptused -LANG:std -DCXX_ISO_COMPLIANT_LIBRARY $OPT"
export CFLAGS="$myINC $sysINC $OPT"
export FFLAGS="$OPT"
configure --prefix=/usr/local/octave --with-blas=-lscs_mp --with-lapack=-lscs_mp

2.  Run the above file with ". configureOctave"
Note the "." is important.

3. The trick to using MIPSPro compilers with Octave, is you need to get the following C/C++? headers and libraries if it is not in standard location. In my case, I got the files somewhere else and put them in:
/home/chee/usr/include/CC$>ls
cassert cerrno climits cmath csignal cstddef cstdlib ctime cwctype
cctype   cfloat   clocale  csetjmp  cstdarg  cstdio   cstring  cwchar

/home/chee/usr/
libncurses.a   libreadline.a

4. To compile, use "gmake" (GNU's make) rather than IRIX's "make.

Cheers,
Clinton

Billinghurst, David (CALCRTS) wrote:

Just a note for the record (and google) on building recent octave releases on SGI irix6.5 systems

I haven't been able to build a working octave on SGI irix6.5 for over a year now. This hadn't been a real problem until I retired some hardware recently. The build goes OK but the binary core dumps on startup. Thanks to Paul Kienzle's notes in http://wiki.octave.org/wiki.pl?PaulKienzleIrixConf I have a fix.

The solution:  Don't use the SGI supplied libscs.so if you use g++

Clinton Chee - PhD
Computational Scientist
High Performance Computing Support Unit
University of New South Wales
SYDNEY 2052 AUSTRALIA chee at parallel stop hpc stop unsw stop edu stop au
Tel: 61 2 9385 6915 Mob: 61 4 0205 8983