Re: imread image sizing

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: imread image sizing
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:18:12 -0600

On 10-Mar-2004, Daniel J Sebald <address@hidden> wrote:

| Allow me to elaborate on what JD said...   I think I see what the issue
| is.  I just looked inside the "image.m" file.

Most of the files in Octave's image directory are quite old.  They
were some of the first .m files contributed to Octave, back in 1994.

Way back then, playing with images was something fairly new to me, and
I didn't always have a terminal that could display images (about half
of my time working on Octave was done on a vt220-compatible terminal
that only supported Tektronix line graphics, not bitmap graphics).

Since those dark and terrible days, there have been lots of changes in
the way people work, and in what capabilities are expected for image
processing functions, but not much has changed in Octave's
scripts/image directory.  So now might be a good time for someone (but
not me -- I am busy enough with other projects) to start revising
Octave's image processing capabilities, preferably in a way that is
compatible with the other leading brand.  I have not looked to see
what is available in octave-forge, but that would be a good place to
start.

Finally, if you would like to have the functions you write become a
part of Octave, then please follow Octave's coding conventions, use
Texinfo markup for the doc strings, etc.

Thanks,

jwe