Multiplot Issue

From: Andy Boden
Subject: Multiplot Issue
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 10:20:27 -0800

Hi All,

I'm having an octave multiplot issue, and I was hoping someone could
catch my stupidity.

Context:
I'm trying to generate some relatively complicated multiplots with
labels using octave from the 2.1 thread.  On my linux laptop (octave
2.1.40) I am able to generate the graphic as expected, however when I
try to port this code to a solaris box (octave 2.1.56) I get a real mess
-- plots running over each other, many extraneous plots, failure to
clear inappropriate labels, etc.

Rather than send the actual code I'm trying to use, I've constructed a
simple example that exhibits the same sorts of issues I'm seeing in the
real application -- please find it below:

---

## Multiplot demo in octave

## Generate the data to plot

x = 0:100;

y1 = cos(2 * pi * x / 10.0);
y2 = sin(2 * pi * x / 10.0);

data = [x',y1',y2'];

## Do the multiplot
gset term post enhanced color solid 'Times-Roman' 16;
gset out "multiTest.ps";

gset nomultiplot
gset multiplot

## First plot

gset origin 0.0,0.5
gset size 1.0,0.5

gset label 'cos' at graph 0.1,0.1

gplot data u 1:2 w l

## Second plot

gset origin 0.0,0.0
gset size 1.0,0.5

gset nolabel
gset label 'sin' at graph 0.1,0.1

gplot data u 1:3 w l

gset nomultiplot

---

[Clearly I have both the correct (linux/octave 2.1.40) and bogus
(solaris/octave 2.1.56) output PostScript, but I didn't think PostScript
attachments would work well in the context of the mailing list.  I would
be happy to send the example output to anyone who wanted to contact me
directly.]

One additional bit of information I can add is that I built the solaris
octave, and can quote a bit from the build configure step:

checking for gnuplot... gnuplot
checking to see if your gnuplot supports multiplot... yes
checking to see if your gnuplot supports multiple plot windows... yes

For what it's worth, at least the configure step thought it was
interfacing with an appropriate gnuplot.

---

So the bottom line is that I was wondering:

1) Can anyone see a fundamental issue with my use of the multiplot
technique in the octave context?

2) Has anyone seem similar behavior in either this particular or any
other octave, and how (if) did they solve the issue?

Thanks in advance for your time.

- Andy Boden

--
Andy Boden                               address@hidden