Re: octave benchmark test

From: Paul Thomas
Subject: Re: octave benchmark test
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:12:09 +0100

And for those of you that live in North America, here is an opportunity that I found, whilst researching JIT a couple of weeks back:

Work on the Just In Time (JIT) Compiler Team to improve MATLAB performance.

JIT Compiler Team Member

10/14/2003

Natick, MA

The JIT (Just In Time compiler) team is a small group within The MathWorks charged with improving the performance of MATLAB to near FORTRAN / C levels. Because MATLAB is a typeless, interactive language, this effort involves technical challenges rarely seen in other languages. We are looking for another team member who is experienced, creative, can work effectively independently as well as in a group, and is willing to expand the state of the art while delivering value to tens of thousands of customers.

For the reasons that Paul describes below, "technical challenge" is an understatement. I prefer the Japanese phrase - chotto muri desu-ka > "it's slightly impossible"

Paul T

Paul Kienzle wrote:

If that looks easy, consider that x may be real or complex or
a sparse matrix or a galois field or a indefinite precision
number, ...  And consider that the size of x may be less than
n.  And consider that x may be a function (matlab syntax does
not distinguish between functions and array indexing), which
returns a different value type for each i.  You don't know until
you call the function what the type of x is.