Re: unwanted multiple plots

From: Paul Kienzle
Subject: Re: unwanted multiple plots
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 21:43:24 -0500

On Mar 4, 2004, at 5:44 PM, Glenn Golden wrote:

Quentin Spencer writes:
Dmitri A. Sergatskov wrote:

In my opinion use of 'gset' functions should be discouraged.

I agree. I do occasionally use gset for low level stuff like putting
arrows on the plot and things like that. There are some occasions where
I also use a 'gset nokey' to turn off the key that is enabled by
default. It occurs to me that in the competing product, you don't get a
key unless you ask for one. If we wanted true compatibility, maybe the
plot function should be modified to turn the key off until the user
turns it on with the legend command from octave-forge. The presence of
the key is especially a nuisance when plotting a very large number of
lines: the key can cover most of the plot.

I think that gset usage depends very much on the type of work you're
doing.

For me, 90% of my plots are throwaways, for my own immediate use
only, e.g. interactively observing the progress of some experiment
or simulation. In that regime I constantly use gset commands for
things like changing the axes ranges so I can home in on some
particular area of interest in the plot, as the simulation runs.
Life would be unbearable without gset/replot/gset/replot.

Isolating the octave plotting interface from gnuplot makes sense to
me.  That way you can replace the plotting package without going
through and searching for all the gset commands.

For a number of gset uses, there are already some octave/octave-forge
commands to insulate you from gnuplot. E.g., axis to set axes and text to
put text on the plot.  Also, you can use 'legend show' and 'legend hide'
to control the legend.  Not everything is possible, but in those cases
I prefer to implement a compatible interface which hides the details
of gnuplot.

Paul Kienzle
address@hidden