Re: unwanted multiple plots

From: John W. Eaton
Subject: Re: unwanted multiple plots
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 15:22:59 -0600

On  4-Mar-2004, Dmitri A. Sergatskov <address@hidden> wrote:

| I am not sure weather it can be considered as a bug in plot()
| or just as a feature.

In order to fix this, Octave would need to know which plot devices
should be updated immediately (display devices) or only when the plot
is finished (hardcopy devices).  And in the latter case, Octave would
need to gather all the plot information before doing anything because
I don't think it is generally possible to redraw the axes if they must
be rescaled.  Also, we would need some way to tell Octave that we
are done adding objects to the plot so that it could draw the result.

So I think it is a mistake to set the output device to a hardcopy
terminal and then use plotting commands.  In almost all cases, what
you want to do is make a plot and then print it by doing something
like Dmitri suggested with /dev/null, or, if you are working
interactively, by displaying the plot on the screen.

Since this comes up frequently, are there any changes we could make so
that it is easier to see the recommended way?

jwe