SUCCESS: Partially Parallel Octave on Alpha/Tru64

From: Dr. Hans Ekkehard Plesser
Subject: SUCCESS: Partially Parallel Octave on Alpha/Tru64
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 07:55:57 -0600

Hi!

I would like to thank John W Eaton and David Bateman for their prompt

octave 2.1.55, newest CVS sources as of 4 Mar 2004, 11:50 UTC
David Bateman's ifourier patch of 4 Mar 2004
g++ 3.3.2
cc 6.5-003
f77 HP Fortran Compiler V5.5A-3548-48D88
Alpha Server GS1280, 8 proc, Tru64 V5.1B
CXML 5.20
FFTW 3.0.1
HDF5-1.6.1

I built octave from these sources, using cc and F77 for C and Fortran, but g++
for C++ code, see the recent discussion in bug-octave for reasons.  My
environment settings and configure options are shown below.  I linked against
the parallel versions of the CXML (BLAS/LAPACK lib from Compaq), so
linear-algebra intense operations run in parallel.  This seems to work well.
All tests are performed successfully (although I had to run them manually from
the subdirs in test/octave.test, DejaGNU has some problems).

Here my settings:

setenv CC cc
setenv CXX g++
setenv F77 f77
setenv MAKE gmake
# HP advises against -O3,-O4 for shlib code
setenv CFLAGS '-ieee -O2 -arch ev7 -tune ev7'
setenv CXXFLAGS '-mieee -mcpu=ev67 -mtune=ev67 -O3'
setenv FFLAGS '-fpe1 -O4 -tune ev7 -arch ev7'

/home/nlhadm/packages/octave-cvs/configure \
  --without-mpi --with-hdf5 \
  --with-blas=cxmlp --with-lapack=cxmlp \
  --enable-shared --enable-dl

The only issue was a problem in the generated code src/parse.cc, where I had
to comment out some CPP directives (lines 3717-3731):

/*----------------------------------------------------.
| yyerrlab1 -- error raised explicitly by an action.  |
`----------------------------------------------------*/
yyerrlab1:

  /* Suppress GCC warning that yyerrlab1 is unused when no action
     invokes YYERROR.  */
/* Commented out, HEP
#if defined (__GNUC_MINOR__) && 2093 <= (__GNUC__ * 1000 + __GNUC_MINOR__)
  __attribute__ ((__unused__))
#endif
*/

  goto yyerrlab2;

If not commented out, g++ complains about a parse error before goto.
The code in parse.cc from the most recent 2.1.55 distribution looks quite a
bit different.  This may be due to different bison versions (I have 1.875).

Best
Hans

- --
Dr. Hans Ekkehard Plesser
Associate Professor

Department of Mathematical Sciences and Technology
Agricultural University of Norway

Phone +47 6494 8832
Fax +47 6494 8810
Home http://arken.nlh.no/~imfhep