gnuplot and gzoom

From: Quentin Spencer
Subject: gnuplot and gzoom
Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 12:33:32 -0600

I tried compiling the latest test release of gnuplot (3.8k.1), to try the gzoom command in octave forge (compiled on Fedora Core 1). I added 'gset mouse' to my .octaverc, and tried a plot. The first time I ran the gzoom command, I got:

warning: gzoom: no axis set and `nowriteback' option active.

So, I set the axes with the axis() command, and now when I run gzoom I get:

warning: gzoom: could not capture button events.

Interestingly, in gnuplot I can select an area with the right mouse button and it will zoom in on it, but there's no way to undo it that I can see other than re-setting the axis limits with axis(). This appears to be some native gnuplot functionality. So, I guess my question is, am I missing something that should make gzoom work, and is gzoom even necessary if gnuplot has the capability built in? Is there any way to zoom back out in gnuplot?

Quentin