Feedback on using the OCST [was: Re: Problem in OCST]

From: Juan Ignacio Del Valle Gamboa
Subject: Feedback on using the OCST [was: Re: Problem in OCST]
Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:25:34 -0600

Mr. Hodel and all other developers/users of the OCST,

I'm currently following some graduate studies that have involved lectures on
different topics in control engineering; and being an enthusiast of free
software, I decided to choose GNU/Octave as my main simulation and analysis
tool. Although it took a while to get used to it, I've managed to rely
solely on it for most of the control assignments involving computer
simulations.

I've been planning to contribute back to the Octave community something in
exchange for your work on this great piece of software; I thought of maybe
compiling a list of my experiences and issues while using Octave as a
learning tool on control engineering. This may serve as a guide to encourage
other people to give Octave a try, specially in places where licenses for
commercial simulation software may be too expensive: this should be no
reason to impair educational efforts. And I'm sure there are others out
there in similar situations that would be willing to contribute too, that'd
be great.

... To the point. I don't want to fill this mailing list with
off-topic/useless information, so my question is which would be the best way
to contribute something like what I proposed. This mailing list? Another
one? The Octave-Wiki? Getting involved in Octave-Forge?

Because of the "cell-array/list structure issues" mentioned in this thread,
I've been using mainly Octave 2.1.35 on Debian Stable (and on Sid too). I
just noticed the new functions present in 2.1.55; I tried some of my scripts
and there are still some issues I'll have to look into. I would start by
testing everything on this new version and reporting my finds.

Mainly I have a bunch of small scripts dealing with several topics, from PID
controllers, to optimal control, H-inf controller synthesis, multivariable
systems, and discrete-time control.

Regards.

--
Juan Ignacio Del Valle Gamboa