Re: Regarding Octave

From: Etienne Grossmann
Subject: Re: Regarding Octave
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:59:46 -0500

On Mon, Mar 01, 2004 at 09:50:52AM -0800, Henry F. Mollet wrote:
# Do I have this roughly correct for Mac OS X 10.2.8?
# Henry
# 1. qhull = symolic tookbox. What does qhull stand for? A recent posting by

  Nope! It's the contrary.

  QHull is for Convex Hull (of a set of points) : it's computational
geometry.

# Per Persson indicated that he's working on it to make it work.
#
# 2. ginac = geometry toolbox. What does ginac stand for? As above for qhull
# re use on Mac OS X.

  Symbolic toolbox. From the description of the Debian package:
GiNaC (which stands for "GiNaC is Not a CAS (Computer Algebra
System)") is a library for doing symbolic (i.e. non-numeric)
computation directly in the C++ programming language.

# 3. atlas = automatically tuned linear algebra subgroups. No longer needed in
# OS X 10.2 because atlas is provided as part of vecLib which includes blas,
# lapack, vDSP, and vMathLib.
#
# 4. fftw = discrete fourier transform. Can it be considered to be a toolbox?
# When I last installed octave 2.1.46 using fink it was part of the
# installation. I most likely have not used it, would not know how to use it
# but I know what a discrete fourier tranform is because I use it in the
# analysis of life cycle graphs.
#
# 5. hdf = scientific data format. Can it considered to be a toolbox? What
# exactly does it do? Fink installed it but I doubt that I've used it, nor
# would I know how to use it.
#

  Save data in .hdf format, a "universal" format for numerical data,
iigc.

  Hth,

  Etienne

#