Installing octave - what optimisations are sensible?

From: Andrew Grief
Subject: Installing octave - what optimisations are sensible?
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2003 06:42:55 -0500

Hi

I've downloaded the octave 1.2.50 and built it on RedHat 8.0 with a nice fast blas and no debugging info. But I was wondering what optimisation flags I should be using to get good, but reliable, performance?

The INSTALL.OCTAVE file suggests

CFLAGS = -O
CXXFLAGS = -O
FFLAGS = blank string

but should I try -O2, -O3, or anything else to get best results? I'm particularly wanting the dassl routines etc to work well.

Many thanks,
Andrew