Re: Thank you!

From: Ted Harding
Subject: Re: Thank you!
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:54:47 +0100 (BST)

On 19-Aug-03 Laurent Jacques wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 August 2003 11:52, John Campbell wrote:
>| Please see the attached file for details.
>
> How can we open such a file ? I don't know personnally this pif format
> ?
>
> Is there somebody to convert this in a more opensource format ? It is I
> think quite natural for "GNU" octave users ;-)
>
> Laurent.

To all whom it may concern: The email Laurent is referring to almost
certainly contained a Windows virus in the "pif" file ("PIF" stands, I
think, for "Program Information File" or "Program Initiation File", and it
is executable in DOS/Windows in order to start up a given program with
given options). A considerable proportion of the various viruses that have
been going around recently arrive in attachments which have the ".pif"
extension. The text "Please see the attached file for details" in the
message body is common in these virus-bearing emails.

In answer to Laurent: delete it! (Not much danger, in any case, given
that he doesn't look like a Windows user!)

Best wishes to all,
Ted.

E-Mail: (Ted Harding) <address@hidden>
Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 167 1972