Re: matrix append

From: Andy Adler
Subject: Re: matrix append
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2003 16:43:29 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003, John W. Eaton wrote:
> If you want to do
>
>   [X; A]
>
> use the "stack" method instead:
>
>   X.stack (A);
>
> BTW, the append and stack and append are const methods, so what you
> really want is probably
>
>   X = X.stack (A);
>
> In any case, I suppose these names are not good.  Maybe we should
> introduce vcat and hcat or similar instead and deprecate the stack and
> append names.

I wrote scripts for vcat and hcat for the sparse functions.
I think they're a little more intuitive, but I don't think
it makes a big difference.

What's really needed, of course, is some good documentation on
octave internals, and/or some good example code. Unfortunately,
everyone who could write that is far too busy ...

Another (off topic) question: If user defined types override
stack/append, how close would that get us to allowing the
interpreter to call them for "[A,B];"?

andy